2022 The Elder Project is launched!
Native youth and Elders interviews helping to make connections and preserve culture.
How did STEP start?
- Founded in 2014 in Olympia, WA with 12 teens and elders.
- Inspired by Squaxin Island First Salmon Ceremony
- STEP UP launched in 2019, Victoria, BC, Canada
- STEP TWO - The Woman Only began 2018
- Programs of Distinction Award -Generations United
- STEP presentation to legislature and
- International Intergenerational Conference - 2019.
- Celebrating 2 years of virtual meetings.
What do you do at STEP?
STEP Gathering Rituals:
- Physically "step in" to be present.
- Give thanks to our ancestors.
- Honor First Nation Land and Labor Acknowledgment.
- Center together with 3 deep breaths.
- Hold silence to send love.
- Topic specific discussion as a group and in breakouts.
- Harvest reflections and celebrations
- Send off with a joke, live song, and energy activity.
STEP never stopped during Covid! Zoom allowed alumni and new participants from around the world to continue our good connecting work.