How did STEP start?
- Founded in 2014 in Olympia, WA
- Began with 12 teens and elders
- Inspired by Squaxin Island Salmon Journey
- Began as a brain training program
- Youth decided they liked talking more!
- One visit became a 12 week pilot program, and has continued ever since
What happened next?
- Partnered with Senior Services
- Community awards include: Programs of Distinction Generations United, Washington D.C
- Successfully recreated STEP model in Olympia, Seattle, and Victoria, Canada
- Support the arts at Arts Walk and live music at every session
- Featured in AARP "Communities Where We Live" publication
- Spoke to legislative committee about elder social isolation